Re: GNOME design principles: It's not that they're disliked by critics, it's that there are missing principles

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Rob Walker <robwalker01 gmail com> wrote:
> 1. Search requires to have prior knowledge of names.

It doesn't. The search also searches the description and keywords
associated with each app.

Granted, there are cases where obvious keywords are missing. this was
discussed recently, check the archives. If you find a specific
instance of an obvious keyword not finding the right apps (IIRC the
prime example given was that searching for "music" doesn't result in
Rhythmbox), then you should file a bug against that app, and they can
correct/expand their keywords to make the search more useful to users.

Personally, I find the search to be so *excellent* that I only have to
type the first 1 or 2 letters of the name of the app in order to
launch it. For example, typing <Windows key>f<enter> launches firefox
every time. Similarly, 'te' is enough to get me a terminal.

> If you're a new user,
> you have NO IDEA what the names of apps are. If you are exploring a new
> system, categorized apps helped you learn what to use.

The Applications pane of the Activities overview contains categorical
groupings along the righthand side, and it is possible for apps to
appear in more than one category.

So what's the problem?

> 2. Let's say that Search allows you to search by category rather than app
> name (which is a valid strategy).
>     A. It is not obvious to a new user that you can do this.

Really? I envision a new user, not knowing any program names,
searching a category or generic name (ie, wanting to listen to music,
and thus searching for "music"). In fact, I envision a new user being
incredibly frustrated if such a thing weren't working.

Remember, we're living in the era of Google. When people see a search
box they expect to be able to type the most vague and inane things and
find quality results. Even when people know the name of what they
want, they still google for it (ever witnessed somebody googling for
Google? Yeah.)

>     B. You're back to remembering categories again, which the current
> principles wanted to avoid.
>     C. Yes, this can be improved by allowing apps to be in more than one
> category.
>     D. **Could we perhaps support an optional tag-cloud feature where users
> can tag apps with categories that can be shared with other users?** Let the
> users be the experts of usability.

Categories already are "a tag cloud", it's just that they can't be
edited by users, only developers. You should read up on the .desktop
file associated with each app, that's how Gnome Shell knows what apps
to display and what categories to put them in.

> 3. How do you avoid having to remember categories? Make the categories
> READILY ACCESIBLE. The best way to do this is to retain the feature of
> categorized apps just as users have always expected with a semi-traditional
> version of a "start menu" or similar, but don't require it.

You know, the Applications menu inside the Activities overview
provides exactly the type of categories you're asking for. I know
visually it looks a lot different than a 'Start' menu, but it's
technically only one extra click to get to it.

--
http://exolucere.ca