Re: New Multi Monitor Behavior is Odd

On Wednesday, April 06, 2011 20:59:34 Mystilleef wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Congratulations on the release of GNOME 3.
>
> GNOME Shell behaves odd on my multi monitor setup. When I switch
> workspaces the screen on the external
> monitor remains the same. I expect the external monitor to share the
> same virtual workspace as the primary
> monitor. Is this behavior intentional? Or is this a bug? Or did I
> screw up my xrandr settings?
>
> I use my external monitor primarily as a reading device. It has a
> large screen and thankfully there's no
> top bar taking up screen space or distracting. But I also like to have
> different apps (chrome, devhelp, pdf books) open
> on different workspaces on the external monitor.
>
> If this is not a bug, or a screw up on my path, is this behavior
> changeable? If so how can I revert back to the old
> behavior which is the standard behavior on other window managers?
>
> Thanks

Now that you mention it, this is quite peculiar, as the only other WM that I
know of that does this is E17.

BTW, I always hated that changing desktops on one screen, automatically
changed them on the other. On KDE4 at work I have to pin windows visible on
all desktops on my external monitor for it to be of any use (it comes natural
to me that changing desktops on one screen should not by any means change them
automatically on the other).

Maybe positioning your cursor on the secondary and then changing them works?
That's how E17 does it at least.

Cheers
Juan Manuel