Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 02:51:38PM +0000, JB wrote:
> Olav Vitters <olav@...> writes:

> I wanted you to see the problem thru the eyes of a Fedora user and other
> non-technical business end users.
> GNOME does not live in a vacuum - without a broad user base it will become
> marginal and eventually disappear.

I work in a non IT company with hundreds of of not IT people. Almost
nobody knows Fedora is a Linux distribution.

> > > I find GNOME 3 menu system dysfunctional and an example of inexperience:
> >
> > As suggested in > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-
> > April/098603.html
> > could you please provide concrete evidence? We're open to feedback, but
> > that requires more than opinions. We have enough of those :)
>
> Sorry. I feel I provided it, and it is not "just an opinion" but a description
> of a really screwed up menu system.

Feedback is welcome. But other than that you want the old way back; I
expect e.g. some usability testing. That you noticed within your company
/ circle of friends (or something similar) nobody was able to get used
to it

Did you try it for a week?

> > Configurable option won't happen; that'll mean you want something
> > supported by the GNOME shell developers. But GNOME shell can be fully
> > customized. You (or anyone) can write an extension which does (almost)
> > whatever you want. Supported by whomever writes the extension.
>
> Before we ask non-technical business end users to get lost and write some
> extensions to fix problems GNOME 3 delivered to them, there is still a hope
> that GNOME devs fix the menu systems themselves.

That is not true:
1) I said feedback is welcome
2) I think I explained that a lot of people like the way GNOME shell
works; so if a large group does not, it'll be looked at
3) One person claiming something is bad is considered (this thread), but
you already have various people saying they like what was done

You're saying the menu system needs to be fixed, but up to now this was
not observed to be a problem. I fully understand you dislike it at the
moment.

--
Regards,
Olav