Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

G. Michael Carter <mikey@...> writes:

> My first look at Gnome-Shell was I thought it was a piece of crap.   Good for
those who have never used a computer or have a touch screen but utterly useless
to a tech like me who spends most of his time in several terminal windows.
(The sometimes 5-10 second delay to bring up the overview page, after the
systems been running for a few hours, didn't help... )

I described the switching between active windows and finding hidden menus
underneath them as an act of a circus clown juggling the balls :-)

> But then I realized Gnome 3.0 is more like Gnome-Shell 1.0.   All the cool
> 3rd party stuff we've been using for Gnome 2.x just hasn't caught up yet. I
> dare say soon after (or maybe before) F15 release we're going to see a pile
> of extensions.

I hope that the GNOME 3 devs do something about the menu system, without
waiting for users to come to their own rescue by writing extensions.

> With my user community I've got a split from the non-techical users.   My
> mother told me, to tell you guys to stop mucking with what works and change it
> back.

Your mother deserves a lot of respect. She knows, probably intuitively, that
age is to be respected, even if it applies to a somewhat "oldie" GNOME 2.

> Where my wife says she loves it.  She finds it much better than the clunky
> gnome 2.x

Well, she is your wife. You have to repect her too, otherwise ... :-)

> With this in mind it might be helpful to be able to select the fallback
> screen as a default for those who just aren't ready to take the plunge.

We the "techies" will probably survive somehow, but we are concerned about
the "unwashed" non technical broad users base for whom a computer is only
a tool, whose usefulness is measured by "do not get in my way, babe !".

JB