want dash to be always-visible dock

I've been using GNOME Shell recently on Fedora 15. Aesthetically it looks nice, and I like the full-screen application launcher with integrated search. But I definitely want a dock which is always visible on the side of my screen (a la Docky, Plank, Avant Window Navigator and so on) and to use it as my primary means of managing open applications. So for the moment I'm running both GNOME Shell and Plank. That works, but feels kludgy for a few reasons:

1. I see one dock (Plank) on my display at all times, but the GNOME Shell Activities view shows a second, independent dock (the dash).

2. Since I use Plank for window management, I don't often need the Expose view, so I really want the Activities button (and system key) to open the Applications view directly.

3. The window minimization effect zips toward the Activities button in the upper left, but I want it to zip downward toward the bottom of the display, where Plank is visible.

I'd like to know whether the GNOME Shell developers would accept patches toward either of the following goals:

1. A preference, command-line option or GSettings key which tells GNOME Shell to display the dash at the edge of the screen at all times. This would allow me and others with similar inclinations to use the GNOME Shell dash instead of Docky or other docks. In this mode, Activities would directly open Applications since the dash is used for window management. Ideally the user could choose which edge of the screen the dash should be displayed on. The dash would auto-hide when other windows overlap it (just like Docky and other docks).

and/or

2. A preference, command-line option or GSettings key which tells GNOME Shell to simply never display its dash, and that Activities should directly open Applications. This would be convenient for users who want to use an external dock program.

If the answer is no on both counts, then I'll need to look at alternatives to GNOME Shell in its entirety. It would be nice, however, if we could find some way to make GNOME Shell play nicely with always-visible desktop docks.

adam