Re: can't build gtk3: undefined reference to `gdk_x11_window_set_theme_variant'

I had a similar error today when trying to build an older GTK3 than the
one I had (git master). And I've no .la files left. Anyway, it seems
there's been a change in symbols that libtool doesn't like.

I'd suggest you remove ~/gnome-shell/install entirely, also remove
~/gnome-shell/source/gtk3 and run jhbuild build gnome-shell -acf.

Regards