switching between applications

Hi.

After I've grouped applications in a screen, is there an easy way to switch between them over than using alt+tab?

Would it be possible for exemple next to activity where the active application is displayed, to provide a scroll list of the applications in that screen that I could switch to (in which case it would be displayed next to activity) or close by pressing a little cross, pretty much like a tab in firefox.

regards,

Nico