Re: Will traditional notification area be available in gnome-shell 3.0?

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks, Jon. This is not exactly what notification area was doing. You
> can create popups, but you cannot create status icons using this
> standard, can you?

The precise details of how they are displayed is up to the
implementation of the notification daemon.  The GNOME 3 shell displays
them in a way that is visually more or less in the spirit of status
icons.  The notification daemon we'll use in the GNOME 2 fallback
shell will currently display one status icon to provide access to all
missed notifications.

Probably better to describe what problem you are trying to solve and
see if we can come up with a good solution for it directly.

Jon