Re: Re: Idea for non-overlapping maximized windows using guidelines

> That would be really cool. Currently I'm using pytyle (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pytyle/ ). Pytyle is a Python script which
> tiles the windows independent of the window-manager you use. With Pytyle you
> can do a lot of things, like tiling horizontally, vertically or have the
> window maximized, quickly tile/untile. You can also change the size of your
> main-window. So it does not use 2/3 of the screen fixed. And it supports
> different tilings for different workspaces. But it does not have any GUI
> part. It is controlled completly by keyboard-shortcuts. To see something
> similair, maybe even with some nice GUI integration, in gnome-shell would be
> grate.

There are quite a few of those written in either Perl or Python.
stiler comes to mind as well, which I like as well.

I think all of those interact with X11 via a few simple cli-commands
for X. They are powerful solutions but complex. My suggestion would be
dead simple and much more intuitive to interact with using the
guidelines. Actually I think it would be nice if these guidelines
could fade in when one puts the mouse pointer at some specific area or
border on the screen so that they can be set directly from the
desktop.

/Andreas

--
Do you want to tell me a secret? My Public key can be downloaded from
the link below to ease encrypted private conversation using a desktop

Vill du berätta en hemlighet? Min krypteringsnyckel kan laddas ner
från länken nedan och användas till krypterad konversation med ett
vanligt epost-program.

https://keyserver2.pgp.com/vkd/SubmitSearch.event?SearchCriteria=andreas.wallberg%40gmail.com&EmailOrName=2&SearchType=0