Editing .jhbuildrc doesn't do much good when it comes to the GNOME Shell 'overview-relayout' Git branch

I have added this following line to my ~/.jhbuildrc:

branches['git.gnome.org/gnome-shell'] = ('git.gnome.org/gnome-shell', 'overview-relayout)

Still, it doesn't do much good:  GNOME Shell is still checked out from the master branch. Is this the correct syntax for the branches variable? If so, what am I doing wrong?