Re: A task panel

I like this idea. A lot.

On 05/20/2010 04:35 PM, doshitan wrote:
A solution could be to just add a mouse-able trigger for the Alt+Tab interface. This would provide those who don't always have a hand on the keyboard access to a switching function that is not the Overview (which can be too much for some people).

Threw together some images this afternoon that show a way this could work. After the first one they are really just the progression that we are all familiar within Alt+Tab (App --> App windows).

First image (note the little triangle next to the app's title in the panel):
http://imgur.com/zWzBG.png

Second image:
http://imgur.com/GFs4Y.png

Third image:
http://imgur.com/2dipC.png

Final image:
http://imgur.com/Zx0hq.png

Obviously the trigger could be changed to whatever, but the triangle is already used in other parts of the Shell so I just used it. This implementation would not require any major changes to what already exists, just add a little trigger to the panel and allow Alt+Tab to adapt to its position so that it doesn't have to center everything when moved.

On a side note: I really wish we could keybind Alt+<Key above Tab> to move between windows of the current app. Being required to Alt+Tab then Alt+<Key above Tab> to move between windows seems like an artificial limitation. /rant