Re: A task panel

Ok I just want to know a little more about your habits on Gnome Shell

When you open 9 desktops, Is it one by application?
And when you begin to work, do you add all the desktops at the first time?
Or did you save your workspaces and you recall them after each start up? I don't know if it's possible.

My first impression is that you go around the problem. The absence of a task bar, force you to open many desktops. The overview become your big Alt-Tab  switch panel. I don't know if its a good way to handle the situation or not.

But I think that many people will not do like that. They just want launch their applications and switch quickly between them.
If it's my first approach of Gnome, I will launch many applications on the same desktop and I will need to handle that. It's can take many years for a no-geek to find your trick.
Unconsciously, they will reduce the number of open applications, and limits the number of copy paste, because It's hard to switch.

2010/5/20 Stéphan Peccini <stephan peccini fr>
Thu, 20 May 2010 20:37:32 +0200
Kao Chen <kaochen2 gmail com> a écrit :

> > > Activities Overview is a great concept and I don't need anything
> > > more
>
> Ok but do you use the Alt Tab shortcut? or Do you go, every time,
> through the Overview?

I don't use Alt-Tab, only overview. In fact, I have nine desktops, most
of them for a specific task always launched: web, usenet, mail, photo
management, ... Three of them are generally for photo projects, always
in the same configuration.
So when I have to switch, I make one gesture to start owerview and one
to access to the right desktop, and always the same so this is
efficient from my point of view.

> I have no doubt that we will find a good diplomatic solution with an
> extension or a option to enable. But you have to understand that some
> of us really need that.

I completely understand your point of view and I'm sure a good
solution will be found. If I have given my pont of view, it's, in a way,
also to thanks developers team for their work and to say that
appreciate it a lot.

--
Stéphan Peccini
Le blog : <URL:http://pyrenees.peccini.fr>