Re: gnome-shell-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 19

Message: 1
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 08:02:51 +0000
From:
kaddy080 gmail com
To:
gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: gnome-shell query
        DelSp="yes"

Hi fellow Gnome users.... I have a couple questions.... sorry if it has
been asked to death....
but I've only been recently following the mailinglist....

Does anybody know whether there is any plans to have effects in
gnome-shell? maybe compiz like mutter plugins to achieve this ????

I am being too late to respond to this, but my personal opinion is that effects must be built inside gnome-shell. The preview version has built-in effects. The package built for Ubuntu is smooth enough in my nvidia card. I recently downloaded the dev version then compiled it using jhbuild as instructed, the obvious difference is that I can now remove workspaces as well as add, and will be able to zoom in and out the workspaces, so it is kinda cool. Applications was replaced with icons, the search box was improved. But the effects was somewhat slow compared to the default ubuntu lucid package, this will be expected in a preview version.

This is only my opinion, effects must be trimmed down to only a few, not like compiz to avoid complexity. Compiz in my opinion is still not production ready, application compatibility must be the primary goal when developing effects for the gnome-shell, for example, if I cannot run 3d games while gnome-shell is the default DE, then it is a show-stopper, not to mention blender, CAD and other 3D applications. I really don't know the flow of the development of the gnome-shell nor I can code effectively in plain C or _javascript_, but I think it is very helpful for gnome-shell to have the effects turned off when it detects a video card is not capable of 3d acceleration due to these scenarios: old video card or no driver installed.

Cheers,
Allan E. Registos