Re: What will be included in 3.0?

Hi,

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Frederik Nnaji <frederik nnaji gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:28, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi linux intel com>
>> the gnome-shell team is already pretty busy writing what the design
>> documents define, and fixing bugs; new designs, and new features that do
>> not align with the current designs, are up for grabs.
>
> thank you ;)
> in other words you are referring us to the official design documents linked
> here:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
> !?

He was probably referring to the information available from:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

> so far i found the following pages tagged in this place:
> http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20091114.pdf
> http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/gnome-shell-usability-test-plan/
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/tag/gnome-shell/
> http://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/jperry/tag/gnome-shell/
> http://cgwalters.livejournal.com/tag/gnome-shell
> http://blogs.gnome.org/marina/tag/gnome-shell/
>
> will there be a central place with a transparent overview and development
> tracking for GNOME Shell's future features and design?

Owen wrote a roadmap
(http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RoadmapTwoThirtyOne) for the path to
3.0.

I guess we don't have one single place to get all information about
GNOME 3.  I suppose Planet GNOME is as close as anything right now.
Basically all of the core Shell team should be blogging much more than
we are.

> i very well understand if that can never happen, since one doesn't always
> want to spill one's beans all at once...and into everybody else's pocket.
> yet tranparency and communication are what make a community stronger,
> inspire its members to more creativity.

There are no secret plans.  Everything we do is in the open.  We blog,
tweet, and chat as much as we can (and still get things done).
Actually, I'm not sure what else we could do.  But if you have
suggestions I'd love to hear them.

> for the links above: thank you!
> i'll go through all of the above carefully again, to better understand the
> future of the free software desktop before mapping any more creative
> concepts that might become superfluous with the next update already.

After you read through that stuff, if you still have questions, feel
free to drop by IRC (details on the home page) and ask us about it.

Thanks,
Jon