Looking for colourful advice

Hi,

Gnome-mag has a "cross-hair" feature for helping users find the mouse cursor. An example graphic can be viewed here:
http://clown.atrc.utoronto.ca/aegis/GS-Mag/CrossHairs.png

The issue is that the cross hairs cannot obscure what lies beneath them. As you can see in the png, the colours of the cross hair are blended with the background.

Is colour blending possible within GnomeShell? My approach would be to use clutter texture objects to form the cross hairs -- are there colour blending functions for texture objects? I've looked at the online documentation (http://www.clutter-project.org/docs/clutter/stable/), and found transparency manipulations, but that's probably not enough. Should I be diving into COGL? Looking somewhere else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
;;;;joseph

'Clown control to Mao Tse Tung.'