Re: Bring some KDE / Ubuntu to the System Status Area?

On 06/24/2010 11:04 AM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> Again, I could not find decent documentation, but isn't the protocol
> able to transfer any GtkMenuItem?

No, it scans the menu and constructs an XML serialization of it, sends
that over D-Bus, and then the other end converts the XML back into a
GtkMenu. The serialization format only supports specific things.

> Or reversing the question, if the protocol is not enough, how come
> that Ubuntu is shipping gnome-bluetooth and gnome-power-manager using
> dbusmenu for transport, and they look pretty like Gtk-based ones?

There's nothing unusual in the bluetooth or power-manager applet menus
though. The protocol was *designed* to handle simple menus like those.
It's stuff like NM-applet and the volume control that make things
complicated.

-- Dan