Re: Feedback on gnome-shell 2.29.0-3

Hi!

(Note: I am not a gnome-shell developer, I hope those will also answer
because I think you make some interesting points)

> It would be nice to have a simple and visible way to disable
> gnome-shell animations. Perhaps the animations should be disabled by
> default.

Well, besides the fade in/fade out and some little bling for the
activities button there aren't really many animations. It's using opengl
anyway so you gain nothing on the driver issues site (like you would in
the metacity/compiz case). But it could be an option.

> It is difficult for a new user to guess you can use the "find"-dialog
> to search for a general string such as "game" or "CD"
> or "spreadsheet". Therefore it is difficult to use the activities dialog
> to find a program to burn a CD or to create a spreadsheet.

> One suggestion is to add a few links such as as "office
> program", "Internet", "video", or "game" to the extended application
> menu. If I pressed a link then the corresponding text could be typed in
> to the find dialog, and I could get the search results. That would teach
> me how to use the system. Alternatively you could use vertical lines to
> part the extended application menu in to sections.

I think the text-entry is a but work-in-progress right now but having
buttons seems suboptimal. I would rather use some kind of tooltip (maybe
force when you open the shell first) to explain the field.

> It would be nice to have more meta data describing each program. If
> I search for a string such as "calendar", "schedule" or "appointment"
> or "date" then I would like to find evolution-calendar. If I search for
> a part of a mime-type such as "ogg" and "excel", then I would like to
> find the programs that can handle the given mime-type.

Guess that can be fixed with better desktop files. Probably a nice idea
to file a meta-bug for this. Looks like a good GNOME Goal.

> If you train new users to use the 6 icons in the activities menu as a
> windows switcher then they may run in to problems as soon as their
> browser creates two windows. The problem is that new users will not
> automatically guess that they have to use the right click menu to find
> the hidden browser window.

Well, 80% of the space in the overview shows the windows on the right
and that's what should be used to switch windows.

> If the activities menu is open then I cannot press an icon to open
> a minimized program such as empathy, gnotes, or
> gnome-xchat. Ideally pressing an icon on the menu bar should close the
> activities dialog. (Omar suggested that this was a gtk issue)

Yeah, that's not intended.

> If I use the workspace selector and press in the space between
> two windows in one of the minimized work spaces then nothing happens. I
> have to press exactly on top of a window in a minimized
> workspace. That requires me to spend extra time aiming with the mouse.

Looks like a valid point, you should file a bug about it. I don't see a
design reason why that shouldn't work.

> Between the activities menu and the clock I found a widget dsiplaying
> the name of the window that is presently open. Maybe this widget work in
> progress, but right now it is not so useful. Maybe it would be better to
> place a window list or a list of active programs here. If you are afraid
> of using too much space, then you can remove the text and just put the
> icons coprespnoding to the active windows.

It's the yet unfished application menu. This will show menu items that
work on the whole application in distinction from the normal menu items
that work on the current document.

> I would like the calendar dialog to contain information from
> evolution calendar and evolution tasks.

As far as I know that is planned.

Regards,
Johannes