Re: Feedback on gnome-shell 2.29.0-3

If the activities menu is open I cannot open the menu in the upper right
corner. Ideally opening one menu should close the other.

Last I tried gnome shell I was able to click my name in the overlay made so I guess the same will happen for system indicators too.

If the activities menu is open and I then I cannot press an icon on the
menu bar to open a minimized program such as empathy, gnotes, or
gnome-xchat. Ideally pressing an icon on the menu bar should close the
activities dialog.

I face the same problem in unity as well so the problem certainly is not in gnome shell. maybe gtk?

On my laptop I have to press three buttons simultaneously to use the
shortcut alt-f1 to open the activities dialog. The problem is that f1 is
a two button combination. Perhaps you could change this shortcut to
something like ctrl-esc.

Super key also gets you to overlay mode so its a single key.

Once the activities dialog is open, I would like to be able to use the
tab key or arrow keys to select a program or document to open. Right now
I have to use the mouse.

Not sure about this but I *think*  its fixed.

The menu bar contains a small graphic with the name of the window that
is presently open. As far as I can see this graphic doesn't do anything.
Perhaps you can replace it with a window-list.

Not getting you but if you are referring to the name of the window in the top panel in the latest versions its a menu but its not finished. currently clicking on it reveals a menu with 'quit'

The menu in the upper right corner allows me to set my IM-status, but it
doesn't allow me to send an IM-message. I find that confusing.

I dont think its confusing at all. its used to set your status not chat. though gnome shell have message tray in the bottom.

The menu in the upper right corner has my name as a title. That makes it
difficult for me to search for help on google and in the gnome help
system. If I type my name in to google I don't get help on the
gnome-shell menu system.

Its the name of the user what do you expect?

The sidebar contains the same information as the activities menu, so
perhaps it is redundant. It would be nice to have something like the
windows sidebar where I can place a list of small helpful gadgets.

sidebar is removed in the later versions. it was indeed annoying.