Re: Icons on the desktop

On 06/13/2010 03:46 PM, chris wrote:
On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 16:07 -0400, Jeff wrote:
Hello folks,
I looked a bit through the mailing list archives and couldn't find a
topic about this so far... Do the GNOME Shell devs / usability team
have any position regarding "showing icons (or not)" on the desktop?
(currently, /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop = False)

While we have had icons on the GNOME desktop since time immemorial, I
believe those are unnecessary nowadays. They are cruft and file
placement micro-management, and I personally believe the Shell would
be a great way to fix the issues that caused this relic to exist.

Any thoughts? Outrage? Insults? :)
(I wanted to keep this mail short just to "test the waters", but I
could make a proper essay on PGO if some are interested)
I agree, they are unnecessary. At the moment I am using the AWN (Avant
Window Navigator) to do all my application launching, and the file
browser launcher for this provides an easy way to access devices.

I haven't yet got that used to using the activities panel for launching
applications, or accessing devices, I find using the AWN just requires
one mouse movement and one click, not two mouse movements and a click
(or drag) as with just the gnome shell.

I think including something like the AWN bar in the gnome shell should
be considered.

Chris