Re: Screencast VP8/WebM support?

On 06/03/2010 11:29 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:38 -0500, Ryan Peters wrote:
I have recently tried out the fantastic GNOME Shell built-in screencast
recorder, and while looking through the gconf settings for it, I was
reminded that it saves videos in Theora format. Since VP8/WebM has
proven to be a much better container and video codec, could it be used
by default or at least available as an option?
The option is there if you tweak the GConf settings. (yeah, writing new
GStreamer pipelines isn't for the faint of heart...)

Adel Gadllah has done some experiments with WebM pipelines with pretty
good success. The codec availability isn't yet to point where we'd want
to make it a default, I think.

On a related note, is it planned/allowed to be able to record audio as
well as video?
It should be possible with the right GStreamer pipeline to record the
ambient audio into the recording.

(In general, I think overdubs do make for better screencasts... it's
hard to drive a screencast and talk coherently at the same time.)

- Owen

Thank you for the clarification! I agree it's rather new and we'd have to do more testing/work to get it to be a default.

About recording audio, the reason I'm curious is that I'd like to be able to record the audio of the program(s) currently open. I agree though that overdubs make for better screencasts. Like, for example, I was playing a game and wanted to record me playing along with the sounds and music coming from the game (especially important if you're playing a dancing game, such as Stepmania). This isn't exactly something most people ask for/bother making, so it's very understandable why it's so hard to find a way to do this easily.

What about recording specific windows, with/without the window border? Is that planned, or would I be better off using recordmydesktop or ffmpeg to record that?

    - Ryan Peters