Screencast VP8/WebM support?

I have recently tried out the fantastic GNOME Shell built-in screencast recorder, and while looking through the gconf settings for it, I was reminded that it saves videos in Theora format. Since VP8/WebM has proven to be a much better container and video codec, could it be used by default or at least available as an option?

On a related note, is it planned/allowed to be able to record audio as well as video?

    -Ryan Peters