Re: This list, suggestions, frustration

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 14:01 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> Lack of that sort of information often leads people to assume (however
> incorrectly) that designers are just making "best guesses", rather
> than informed decisions. Which in turn leads the onlookers at large to
> believe that their opinions have just as much chance of influencing
> the ongoing design as anybody else's, resulting in everyone just
> diving in saying how *they'd* like it to work :)

+1  Having worked with Open Source nearly full-time for 10+ years [but,
sadly, not on GNOME shell or anything this cool] I just can't resist
saying "here here"!  The underlying issue, for me, is that "people to
assume that designers are just making best guesses" represents a rather
stupendous level of arrogance.  I know in projects I work on the
"**just** make it work like this..." messages [on code bases I've been
working on since 2003] began to chafe, especially when coupled with a
"Duh!" kind of tone.

BTW, I'm pretty excited about GNOME 3.0 and to the extent I've used it I
can see logic behind how thing works.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>