Re: Top posting

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 12:42 +0000, Samuel Arthur Wright Illingworth
wrote:
> I don't see the problem with top posting anyway

Ignorance is not a virtue.

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

With the possible exception of those relying on screen-readers (I just
don't know if this is really valid), top posting is just a sign of
laziness and/or use of badly designed clients. The consequences of
either should not be forced onto others.

> It's the lack of a standard that's the problem as I see it - some
> people posting at the top, others at the bottom.  That's why I don't
> mind bottom-posting in this mailing list, even though I think it's the
> less user-friendly option on its own.

There is a standard on many mailing lists. It's bottom posting. I know
that at least Ubuntu and Mandriva state so explicitly, as examples.
There are just a number of people who keep ignoring it and it's
sometimes not enforced. This thread is about to turn into an example
why.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: