Re: interapplication communication

Hi,

Haven't really caught up on the entire thread yet.  But wanted to
respond to this one point.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Felipe Erias Morandeira
<femorandeira igalia com> wrote:
> You are suggesting a task bar/window list/dock, even if you don't want
> to say it. The visual appearance and user experience is obviously open
> to debate, but at the end of the day we want a way to have all windows
> in the current activity displayed together, so switching to a certain
> one is just a matter of point and click. Yeah, every other system has
> something like that and we want GNOME Shell to be different... but have
> we considered that maybe they all have it because it makes sense? Isn't
> switching between open windows one of the major use cases of a modern
> desktop system?

Whether it makes sense or not isn't really the issue.  You can't
really properly analyze a design piece by piece anyway.  But speaking
of modern desktop systems, I don't know of a single OS environment
designed in the last, say, 5 years that has a window based taskbar.
Do you?  (Docks and live window previews are different.)  Vista was
probably the last one ever.

Jon