How to edit/remove "recent documents" ?

1. I have tried deleting/altering the .recently-used & .recently-used.xbel files in the home directory (on Karmic 64-bit). Nothing changes, the files get automatically re-generated.

2. I am unable to find the right gtk configuration file to edit the options regarding recent-documents. Can someone point out the exact file ?

3. I have installed the Gnome Activity Journal to switch the usage from gtk toolkit to Zeitgeist, but am not sure if this has changes things.

I have searched the mailing lists & have got the above hints from a few threads. But the problem still remains. Can someone please point out the way to manipulate the recent-documents content.

Thanks.