Re: More Apps Redesign

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:00 -0500, Mark Curtis wrote:
> I just built from source and now see the new design for "more apps".
> Here is a link to an image of what I see (yes I know I can scroll to
> see more)
> http://www.markecurtis.com/etc/gnomeshell/appwell.png
>
> This is very much a step backwards.  While it does allow for more at a
> time

Mark, you found the problem that will endlessly torment this design
right here. Users do not want or need to see MORE apps at a time! They
need to see the existing stuff better.

GNOME Shell's overlay has the entire screen and some fantastic
extensibility with which to do this.

Now, I will concede that today's menu isn't better; the categories we
use are woefully outdated. (My Internet menu, for example, has every app
that uses the Internet, including Google Earth and Gobby).

I DO really love the consistency you are going for here. I think new
users will appreciate that, too. It's a welcome departure from the usual
horrific split desktop environments have between closed and running
apps. I just don't think the current representation of applications is
the best one to spread across the desktop environment.

Thanks,
Dylan

PS: And back to truncation, people who use larger font sizes will not be
happy unless the icons also get bigger.