We need a logical way to switch through active windows.

I post this yet again because I want to emphasize the importance of Gnome Shell getting an easier way to manage open windows. I understand that the current methods laid out in Gnome Shell fit the field of vision that GS is trying to achieve, but there needs to be a realistic approach to Gnome Shell's task management system or it won't get mass used.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix has a very intelligent way to sort through active applications. It's just a dock-like set of icons that get listed in the top left corner, which makes it very easy for users to switch through active applications.

Sure, Alt-Tab exists, but it's not the answer, despite it being convenient.

Sure, the overlay mode is there, but it's not user friendly when a user wants to sort through a bunch of instant messages or gimp windows. Having to hot corner to switch applications is not the way to go. Overlay mode is excellent for desktop management and utilizing the different workspaces to their full potential, but I don't view it as a task management tool.

As a long time Gnome user, I want to see Gnome Shell fly with high approval. But right now in its current state with the tools that are available to manage active applications, there is only one person I have heard to date that is comfortable with how it is. Every single other person has said they'd use it, but only with a dock, or that it needs something more integrated to the shell interface itself.

I'm not saying something needs to be enabled by default, but at least the option to make task management easier is what Gnome Shell needs. I understand there's months and months to go, but I keep hearing that this doesn't fit the end goal of Gnome Shell. I just can't stress enough that I feel like task management is a gap that, in my opinion, has yet to be filled. To date, I've only been able to use Gnome Shell in a productive manner with the use of a dock. Many others I've spoken to have confirmed the same.

I understand there's months to go, but this is something that as a hardcore Gnome fan, I hope doesn't get ignored.

Looking forward to seeing what comes about. Great work, guys.