Re: Gnome Applets

Hi!

> Was gonna be of the gnome applets in Gnome 3 (aka gnome-shell new based new
> desktop) ? or how can I mimic the functionality ? you know little programs
> staying there visible for the user and easy to access.

Applets (or whatever that is called) are not part of the gnome-shell
design so they will simply not exist in GNOME3.

Until now there hasn't been any advice for things that should be easy to
access and are not part of the shell. Actually, the answer is more or
less that there shouldn't be anything that cannot be implemented by
notifications and is not part of the shell that should be visible all
the time.

In theory though you could create gnome-shell extensions that mimic the
functionality of applets but there is no stable API for this.

You can find more about this (with some discussion and answers by the
designers) in the mailing list archive. I think the tomboy case hasn't
been fully investigated yet.

Regards,
Johannes