Slight rearrangment of space in overlay

When going into overlay mode I notice a large amount of unused black space above the workspaces.

Why not have this area hold the currently running applications. That way the left hand side is what activities you want to do and the rest is what you are currently doing (as in the applications and their workspaces).

Another idea would be to put the calendar there, current month and possibly the following month

In either case I do wish the names of currently running/favorite applications were removed.  It's almost always truncated and obscures the visibility of the blue dots.