Re: Mutter workspace layout != Overlay layout

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 15:00 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> On 09/17/2009 02:15 PM, Michlal Nanasi wrote:
> > There is the difference between workspace(desktops, activities) layout
> > in overlay and in mutter.
>
> "workspace" is correct. And yeah, there's a FIXME comment in
> workspaces.js about it.
>
> Hacking up mutter to hardcode gnome-shell's layout is definitely not the
> right fix.
>
> A better fix might be to use meta_keybindings_set_custom_handler() to
> intercept the workspace-switch keys, and then figure out which workspace
> to change to ourselves. Metacity would still be internally confused
> about the layout, but it wouldn't really matter as much.

I tried a different approach back in August, and got a nice suggestion
from Owen Taylor about how to approach a possible solution. I am
embarrassed to say that I haven't been able to find the time to look
further into it, but read this short thread for further information:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2009-August/msg00030.html

Regards.
--
Mads Villadsen <maxx krakoa dk>