From: William Jon McCann [mailto:william jon mccann gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 October 2009 11:22 AM
To: Shane Nuessler
Cc: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Overview menu

Hi Shane,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Shane Nuessler
<Shane Nuessler canberra edu au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The menu name "Activities", doesn't really encompass what the overlay
> provides, is a document an activity?
>
> Marina on the web site has to say "The panel has the Activities button
> for switching to the overview"
> (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet)
>
> Why not call the menu button "Overview"

This has come up a few times.  We probably need to create a FAQ at
some point.  My answer to this is usually something like the
following...

The Activities Overview is a specific type of overview.  It allows for
an overview of your activities.  Since it affords access to your
activities we label the item "Activities."  The usage is similar to a
Places Menu that offers a list of places and is labeled "Places."

To answer the other part of your question.  A document is not an
activity but doing something with a document is.  The Activities
Overview is all about doing - what am I doing now and what I may want
to do next.

Hope that helps,
Jon