Re: keyboard indicator

> A patch for this is in bugzilla now:
That's great - unfortunately usual gnome tray does not have that
AFAIK. As long as it is not in specs, we cannot count on that feature,
right?;)

> Just tell me what you end up using for WM_CLASS and we can fill in the keyboard.
ok, once I get to it...

> You mean more into the panel?  Well...I'd rather discuss what your
> ideas are for the UI and we can figure out how to implement it from
> there.  There are a variety of issues with using GTK+ in the UI; the
> biggest two are that we can't really do it easily from the overview
> mode right now, and we don't yet have a "shell like" GTK+ style.

Well, currently gtk keyboard indicator widget (in libgnomekbd) is a
flexible thing with pluggable behavior. By default, it represents just
labels (short layout names). But with a small gconf tweaking it can
show flags (undocumented feature, formally not supported by GNOME, but
I will not give it up, users do not have to be HIG-compliant). There
are also other plugins (like configuring background color, waving the
flag etc) - but they are more toys than real features. They were
requested at some point, but I suspect the number of users is
negligible.

So, you see, I want full control over rendering - and I suspect I
would not have it with GtkStatusIcon (it is not even GtkWidget!)

Actually, the more general question is: will gnome-shell have
pluggable architecture like gnome-panel, so people would be able to
write applets or widgets or whatever you call it?

Sergey