Re: keyboard indicator

> The design is that the system icon tray is mostly that type of stuff
> related to your hardware; messaging (pidgin, xchat, gwibber) is handled
> by the message tray.
I always had impression that notification tray is overused. You cannot
position icons inside the tray, you cannot have some space between
them... Also, at some point I got impression that application cannot
put custom widget there - only show some pixmaps (ok, they can change
dynamically). Am I wrong?
I would be inclined not to put the indicator there - but I do not
really insist...

> The other approach would be to reimplement it as part of GNOME Shell.
> Keyboard status is a pretty basic thing that needs to be there and needs
> to work really well: if you have multiple layouts, then you should
> always get a status notifier and it should be the best possible status
> notifier and have the best possible integration with the rest of the UI.
I understand that.

> So, we'd take a patch that just added keyboard status indication to the
> Shell Clutter UI. But if you want to reuse some widget you have, that's
> probably easier to do with a notification area applet.
Does that mean you cannot have bona fide gtk widgets in the shell
status menu, only Clutter-based stuff?

Cheers,

Sergey