Re: Time based profiles for recent docs. (day routine based)

2009/11/16 DEEPAK KUMAR <deepakk79 yahoo com>:
> Consider this scenario:
>
> John works from 9 to 5 on his system and works with hundreds of CAD files as
> a part of his job. From 5 pm onwards its leisure time for him when he would
> like to hear some songs. (He follows this routine everyday). But still, the
> recent documents section in Gnome-shell is filled with CAD files.  Now he
> has to use nautilus or use zeitgeist to bookmark, tag, filter and find.
>
> Again the next day when he begins his work at 9 am the Gnome-shell recent
> doc is now filled with songs list. So the Gnome-shell is not really helpful
> for him some times. In fact, its turning out to be counter productive for
> him sometimes.
>
> Most of our activities are time based and routine and the Gnome-shell should
> be dynamic and flexible in this regard.
>
> So  we need a time based profiles to track used files (track files accessed
> during a specified time period in a day). We can use a separate profile for
> time 9 to 5 which we can name it as office/work. After 5 pm leisure etc. Its
> better to have timed profiles like this so we can access files we really
> need at that point of time. Of course, the timed profiles should change
> automatically, but switching profiles manually should also be allowed in
> case (like Sundays, when no work is done by our John)
>
> Zeitgeist will not serve this purpose as its better suited for searching
> files and generally deals with larger time frame and is good for random
> searches.

Excuse me, but you've got Zeitgeist completely wrong :-) Zeitgeist is
specifically designed to have a structured, queryable, log of all your
activities. "Queryable" in the sense that you can query about what you
did to which types of objects at what points in time and have that
sorted and filtered in various ways. You can not do full text searches
in this log. For that you need Tracker or something similar.

A system like you describe can readily be implemented on top of
Zeitgeist. That said I am pretty far from convinced that "automagic
time based user profiles" is a good thing. But if you want to take a
stab at it I shall not hold you back :-) But I would strongly suggest
that you take a closer look at Zeitgeist before you start.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel