Re: Concept attached + ideas

Le lundi 02 novembre 2009 à 21:19 +0000, Jimmy Forrester-Fellowes a
écrit :
Bonjour,

> Attached is a very simple graphic to relay my concept. I'm not a
> designer and this doesn't truthfully convey my ideas however it gives
> you a quick idea of what I'm about to talk about.
> (if you can't see the attachment see here:
> http://www.jimmysparkle.me/dump/gnome-shell-concept.jpg )

I agree with the idea. This is the way I use my PC. The difference I can
see is that I use groups of workspaces for each "activities":
- miscellaneous with system informations, console, ... on one workspace
- internet activities: mail, usenet, web and other (empathy,
torrent, ...), each of them having its own workspace
- photo management: digikam, vuescan, showfoto, hugin, ..., each of them
having its own workspace
- web site conception: ...
- ...

I generally have 10 opened workspaces (in fact 9 as I use Gnome-Shell as
my default desktop) with activities I always need (misc and internet) on
4 workspaces and I organize the other workspaces depending on what kind
of activity I want to start.

> My suggestion is to create a way of creating specific workspaces for
> these jobs. If you want to work on something, you would open it's
> workspace then all your related emails, programs, folders, bookmarks,
> desktop icons etc are all there and geared towards that specific
> task.

I would just add that, for me, having the possibility to create, save,
open and close the group of workspaces for one "activity" (misc,
internet and so on), to easily switch between application/workspaces
inside one "activity" without being perturbed by other "activities" (for
example by seing only the workspaces of this "activity" when looking at
the overview mode and/or by having the possibility to quickly switch
with a key combination inside the activity group of workspace) and to
switch between the different groups (by having a place where all the
"activities" are listed with their status as described in Jimmy's mail),
would be very useful. I am sorry, Jimmy, if it was the same as you said,
but my English is not sufficiently good to understand all the subtleties
of the language and it seems to me that you propose to have only one
*virtual* workspace per activity where I need several; it is the reason
why I propose my vision.

I agree with all the other concepts: association between activities and
data like contacts, widgets, ...
If it was also possible to tag applications, favorites, recent documents
as being associated to all "activities" (by default) or to a specific
activity (by user's choice), allowing to see only related items for each
"activity" (for example, I don't need to see System tools when I am
working in photo management activity), it would be also very
interesting.

--
Stéphan Peccini
Les photos : <URL:http://photonature.fr>