Re: Finishing the mutter rename

Owen Taylor wrote:
> Scenarios:
>
>  Distro ships GNOME-2.28 and gnome-shell/mutter along side Metacity
>
>  Embedded distribution includes Mutter
>
>  Developer jhbuilds gnome-shell on GNOME-2.26
>
>  User installs packages of gnome-shell/mutter on a GNOME-2.26 system

The scenario that I am concerned about is:

   Distribution ships Mutter long before Gnome 2.28 without Metacity

Perhaps we can subsume it under the Embedded category.

>  Data is moved from Metacity to gnome-wm-data, and renamed.
>    (Keys changed to /apps/gnome-wm, themes are $theme/gnome-wm-1)
>
>    Doing it this way avoids the confused dependency graph. It also is
>    conceptually cleaner, since we don't have a non-metacity module
>    calling stuff metacity.
>
>    But, it requires a one-time key migration, and causes problems if
>    installed along-side Metacity-2.26. (e.g., duplicated items in
>    Keyboard Shortcuts)

This would be my preferred final solution. Could we perhaps do this in
two stages; first (now) migrate to the Metacity simple dependency, and
at a later stage, in coordination with Metacity, move toward the
renaming version of gnome-wm-data, so from the 2.28 release both
Metacity and Mutter would use the new keys ?

Tomas