Feature request: Preferences, animation & speed settings

Hi guys,

Could I make a request for some kind of nice GUI to set animation
speed preferences, possibly with an eye towards being able to choose
type of animation in the long term.

I love the way compiz allows you to tweak everything easily with ccsm,
which to my untrained eye looks like a modular design, so it's very
easy for it to manage any setting they add.

Would it be possible to add something similar in gnome-shell, but with
a few changes:

1. Don't have separate settings managers, I'd rather have just one
with an 'advanced' button.
2. Add the ability to save sets of settings, meaning:
   2.1  The default settings can be made available as a set and
restored at any time.
   2.2  That should make the average user more confident about playing
about with changes.
   2.3  More advanced users can share and download sets of animations,
in the same way themes are shared now.

The main reason for this is that while I quite like the gnome-shell
animations, I know I'm going to want to speed up many of them before
long (particularly for switching workspaces), and I imagine that
everybody is going to have different preferences here.

The ability to share sets of animations also means that it would be
possible to ship with a number of settings, and makes it possible for
even new users to download and try new settings without having to
delve into the depths of something like ccsm.

If you can do sets, I can see it being useful to ship three sets of settings:
- default settings
- flashy settings (for showing off the capabilities)
- high performance (faster workspace changes, etc, for professional /
power users)

thanks,

Ross