Re: window / workspace switcher

Stanisław Pitucha wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to do something in gnome-shell's js lately, but run into
> a problem... I was trying to rewrite the way that window / workspace
> switcher windows work. Looking through the source, I couldn't find
> those events exported from metacity to gnome-shell in any way - am I
> right?
> If yes - is there some standard way to export functionality to js, but
> leave the metacity's default if it's not defined there?

You're talking about the Alt-Tab popup and the similar popup for using
hotkeys to switch windows? I was just starting to look into that.

The standard way, when possible, is: add GObject properties or signals
to MetaScreen, MetaWorkspace, MetaWindow, etc.

In this case though, that's not really going to be possible. Owen and I
were talking about possibly having some sort of GObject interface
(MetaTabSwitchingHandler or something), with a default implementation,
and gnome-shell could provide its own implementation. (Although since
you can't implement a glib interface from gjs, this would also require
some C glue in libgnomeshell.)

If you're still interested in working on this, I'll step back and let
you do it; you should update http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ToDo to
indicate that you're working on it. If not, I'll keep hacking on it.

-- Dan