Re: Thoughts on the left hand sidebar

В 10:13 +0100 на 17.06.2009 (ср), Ross Smith написа:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Anton Kerezov<ankere gmail com> wrote:
> > I think it would be best to add full screen mode for the sidebar that
> > modifies with some kind of background that expands to the borders of the
> > full screen window and makes the illusion that there is no unused space.
> >

> > As far as your proposals:
> >
> > 1.       This will make it too cluttered
> >
> > 2.       The sidebar was created to remove these functions from the top
> > panel so we remove this option.
>
> Can I ask what functions are being moved to the sidebar?  Personally
> I'm not a fan of the sidebar, especially since I think gnome-shell is
> making it possible to have a much tidier interface.  It looks to me
> like a single panel can do everything that's needed, with plenty of
> free space on it too.

It is not about space but organisation of the desktop. By moving all the
functionality in the top part of the screen you will be less effective
because humans like to separate things in groups. By making a sidebar
(that would possibly hide or be styled nice) you have another logical
and intuitive place (still another shelf) to set up you custom files and
applications. Thus you can guess I'm strongly FOR the sidebar.

> And for me, the fact that despite all their efforts, Microsoft are
> removing the Vista sidebar from Windows 7 shows that there really
> aren't many benefits to sidebars.

There is a huge difference between the sidebar in windows and the one
here because of the size and the functionality so such a comparison is
not good imo.

Does anybody own a Canon digital camera? you can see how things are
grouped there in the UI: left - settings, bottom - shooting stuff and
top - some other stuff you don't need to know but is good to be there in
case you need it. Usually I make the screen as cleans as possible but
would like to have that things associated with the sides of the screen
and to know that I can make them visible if I need them.

Anton