Re: Thoughts on the left hand sidebar

I agree, I think the current sidebar is ugly, unnecessary and looks way too modular. If we really want to take advantage of 16:9 monitors, we should get rid of the top panel and improve the sidebar to make up for it, not have both.

Sincerely Yours
Nicholas Ipsen

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Ross Smith <myxiplx googlemail com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Anton Kerezov<ankere gmail com> wrote:
> I think it would be best to add full screen mode for the sidebar that
> modifies with some kind of background that expands to the borders of the
> full screen window and makes the illusion that there is no unused space.
>

> As far as your proposals:
>
> 1.       This will make it too cluttered
>
> 2.       The sidebar was created to remove these functions from the top
> panel so we remove this option.

Can I ask what functions are being moved to the sidebar?  Personally
I'm not a fan of the sidebar, especially since I think gnome-shell is
making it possible to have a much tidier interface.  It looks to me
like a single panel can do everything that's needed, with plenty of
free space on it too.

And for me, the fact that despite all their efforts, Microsoft are
removing the Vista sidebar from Windows 7 shows that there really
aren't many benefits to sidebars.