Re: Finishing the mutter rename

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 09:51 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Scenarios:
> >
> >  Distro ships GNOME-2.28 and gnome-shell/mutter along side Metacity
> >
> >  Embedded distribution includes Mutter
> >
> >  Developer jhbuilds gnome-shell on GNOME-2.26
> >
> >  User installs packages of gnome-shell/mutter on a GNOME-2.26 system
>
> The scenario that I am concerned about is:
>
>    Distribution ships Mutter long before Gnome 2.28 without Metacity
>
> Perhaps we can subsume it under the Embedded category.

It's what I meant by that category. For now, any distribution shipping
only Mutter is targeting specific hardware.

I don't have any real objection to a separate gnome-wm-data package,
other than trying to avoid the extra work :-)

I talked briefly to Thomas about this on IRC and he was OK with the idea
of a gnome-wm-data package for GNOME 2.28, so let's proceed along those
lines.

> >  Data is moved from Metacity to gnome-wm-data, and renamed.
> >    (Keys changed to /apps/gnome-wm, themes are $theme/gnome-wm-1)
> >
> >    Doing it this way avoids the confused dependency graph. It also is
> >    conceptually cleaner, since we don't have a non-metacity module
> >    calling stuff metacity.
> >
> >    But, it requires a one-time key migration, and causes problems if
> >    installed along-side Metacity-2.26. (e.g., duplicated items in
> >    Keyboard Shortcuts)
>
> This would be my preferred final solution. Could we perhaps do this in
> two stages; first (now) migrate to the Metacity simple dependency, and
> at a later stage, in coordination with Metacity, move toward the
> renaming version of gnome-wm-data, so from the 2.28 release both
> Metacity and Mutter would use the new keys ?

Concrete steps I think are:

 - Review Jon and Vincent's patches again, ignoring the parts that
   touch stuff that should be in gnome-wm-data. I'll work on this
   today.

 - Someone does a new version of the changes removing the gnome-wm-data
   parts.

That gets us to a Mutter that can be installed and packaged.

 - Someone creates a gnome-wm-data package (probably by running
   git-filter-branch on Metacity to preserve history of the data
   files.)

 - Metacity grows a dependency on gnome-wm-data, and the moved data
   is removed from Metacity

These don't have to happen immediately, but would be good to get done
pretty early in the GNOME-2.28 cycle so that any issues can be sorted
out.

- Owen