Re: Layering in Clutter

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately adding the following code (when adding the thumbnailPreview actor) doesn't work:

let stage = this.actor.get_stage();
stage.add_actor(box);

This seems to fail with the error:

ERROR: stage = null

It appears that actor.get_stage() doesn't return the desired stage reference. I did try it with the bellow code in its place, but this also fails with a null reference to stage:

let global = Shell.Global.get();
let stage = global.get_stage();
stage.add_actor(box);

Cheers,
Dave.

2009/2/10 Colin Walters <walters verbum org>
2009/2/10 Timbob steve <timbobsteve gmail com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working on a thumbnailing patch for docDisplayItem,

Cool!

> Another thought was to make the preview-thumbnail a top-level actor, but I
> can't find any way to retrieve the global Clutter.Group() (not even sure if
> there is one).

The simplest way to attack this I think is just to make the popup a
child of the stage (call .get_stage() on any of the actors, or
global.stage).  Because the stage is a Group, and groups paint their
children in the order they're added, you'll get the ordering you want.

In one of my projects I have an explicit PopupManager class, but it's
sort of tied into the app architecture.  We could definitely create a
similar manager type object if we run into this situation more though.

> NB: There is also an issue that is more pronounced with the thumbnailing
> code, where mouse-over events aren't actually triggered upon the mouse
> entering an actors space.

Hmm, as I understand it there is an issue with leave events not being
synthesized for the mouse leaving the stage entirely (this is why the
Activities button doesn't de-highlight when moving the mouse down
instead of right); but your description sounds different.