Re: Saving Activity/Workspace state?

Le mercredi 28 janvier 2009, à 18:48 -0800, coulamac a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed to the list and have been perusing the archives.
> Owen Taylor's message
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2009-January/msg00033.html)
> caught my eye.  I think the Activity/Workspace ideas are intriguing.
>
> My main question is this: can you save a workspace state?
>
> Let's say the user likes to 1) communicate with others, 2) browse the
> web, 3) write letters, and 4) make music.  The user has specific,
> multiple programs she always uses with each activity.  Can the user
> push the Activities button and be able to open that activity in a new
> workspace?  For example, the user wants to 1) communicate with others.
> Can she select a "Communicate" activity, which was saved from a prior
> session, and automatically start up, say, Evolution, XChat-Gnome,
> Pidgin, and Ekiga?

FWIW, this was discussed during the UI hackfest back in October. Some
people wanted something like that, some didn't :-)

I think it makes sense to be able to save an activity, since, yes, it's
more than just a workspace. But yeah, it needs work (both in terms of
code and in terms of design, to properly integrate this in the UI), so
help is welcome!

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.