RE: Interface Changes

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 01:18 -0500, Mark Curtis wrote:
> The car could be the whole GNOME Shell, the stations the applications.
> If you're driving a quick flick of the dial/push of button and you can
> easy change applications
>
> In GNOME Shell you have to use the overlay, which zooms you out,
> rearrages windows into smaller thumbnails (arguably distracting the
> eye) so you can click/drag and app and have everything reshuffle
> again.
>
> It's as if you are driving and the controls for the radio are outside,
> you have to get out, change the station then reorient yourself.

I prefer a different analogy:
It's like having to leave the house to add a piece of furniture to a
room (and all the existing furniture happens to move around to fit some
kind of table structure if you do so) ;)

The GNOME Shell might shine when it comes to working with many windows
on several workspaces, but I think it feels heavy when it comes to just
opening this app or that document. Having launchers on the panel might
alleviate half the problem for some users (launchers on the desktop less
so, because they can be covered by windows). Otherwise ... my mind
wanders back to plain old menus.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: