RE: Interface Changes

The car could be the whole GNOME Shell, the stations the applications.
If you're driving a quick flick of the dial/push of button and you can easy change applications

In GNOME Shell you have to use the overlay, which zooms you out, rearrages windows into smaller thumbnails (arguably distracting the eye) so you can click/drag and app and have everything reshuffle again.

It's as if you are driving and the controls for the radio are outside, you have to get out, change the station then reorient yourself.