RE: Thoughts on Currently Open Applications

Reading through the design document...

Am I to understand that there is no way to see at a glance (ie with no interaction from the user) what applications are currently running?
Also that the only way to switch applications is the overlay or Alt-Tab?

I really hope that isn't the case. Why not take the idea on pages 22 and 23 and put that in the lower left?

How about NO names for the favorites/open applications in the overlay, aside from maybe mouseover?

> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:17:39 -0400
> Subject: Re: Thoughts on Currently Open Applications
> From: walters verbum org
> To: merkinman hotmail com
> CC: gnome-shell-list gnome org
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Mark Curtis<merkinman hotmail com> wrote:
> > Let me first apologize for the initial message, I have no idea why it showed
> > up as blank
> >
> > As of right now, there is no bottom bar illustrating what applications are
> > open, is this planning on changing?
>
> Not in the design, no. The functionality will be in a combination of
> the overview and the notification area.
>
> > What is the point of the application name to the right of "Activities"?
> > It isn't clickable to show the other open applications,
>
> It will act as an application menu, and likely also offer switching
> between windows in that application, plus the application will be able
> to customize it.
>
> See the design PDF:
> http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20090705.pdf
>
> >I heard it was used
> > to illustrate what window is active instead of relying on window decoration.
> > However this argument falls apart when there are 2 or more windows open of a
> > given application.
>
> It's to illustrate what *application* is active and provide a point of
> control as above. The window decoration shows you which window is
> active.
>
> > Why are the names listed in the open/favorite applications in the overlay?
> > There is such a small amount of room for the name, nearly every applications
> > name gets truncated.  Also, the name obscures the the dots that show how
> > many windows are open.
>
> Truncated names are something we are addressing in a few ways. First
> we're working to fix the .desktop files to have smaller names. I have
> some work on having a better expansion of the name on mouseover.
>
> That's not the end of the story; we may have to do different things in
> locales with much longer names, or perhaps adjust the design to use
> more of the space by default.

Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.