Re: Run the Shell as a "real" session?

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Dean Loros<ubuntu1user gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks for the respond Jon...Seems that it won't work that way on my
> system...Ubuntu Karmic testing. It is a interesting idea--but I guess
> that I was not clear enough--What I would like to do is create a other
> session to login to at GDM start...I've created the correct links & the
> Gnome-Shell shows on my list, but the session bombs out almost as soon
> as I go to it....

What I do is:

1) create a file called /usr/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop
that looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Shell
Exec=sh -c "jhbuild -f ~/gnome-shell.jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace"
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-Provides=panel;windowmanager;
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Panel

(gnome-shell.jhbuild is the .jhbuildrc I use for building gnome-shell)

2) create a file called /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-shell.desktop that
looks like this:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Shell
Comment=This session logs you into the GNOME shell.
Exec=gnome-session --default-session-key /desktop/gnome/session/shell_session
TryExec=gnome-session

3) create the shell_session gconf key:

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/shell_session --type list
--list-type string '[gnome-shell,gnome-settings-daemon]'

This key parallels /desktop/gnome/session/default_session but adds the
gnome-shell override.  Since the gnome-shell desktop file provides
panel and windowmanager it won't start the default panel and
windowmanager.

--Ray