Breadcrumbs in the panel

Some days ago I posted a few design ideas to the wiki:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/BreadcrumbsEtc

They contain some concepts recently mentioned on this list, like
having the workspace name in the panel, window switching using the
panel and shading windows instead of minimizing them.

On IRC, Marina suggested using the breadcrumbs on top for switching
windows, and for requesting attention at another workspace or when
another window is maximized. Owen mentioned that the designs might be
too text-heavy, and for example 'Workspace 1' isn't recognizable if
you don't see the name elsewhere.

Further comments are appreciated! (Below the wiki page, in private
mail or on this list.) If I still think it's a good idea by next week,
I'll try to implement it in a separate branch.