Re: [clutter] gnome-shell / mutter / ARB_texture_rectangle

Hi;

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 07:47 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Hmmm:
>
>  - It doesn't really seem like an application level thing to me.
>    It would be nice to avoid "If you want to use
>    ClutterGLXTexturePixmap, then on some hardware
>    you need to cogl_enable_legacy_texture_rectangle(TRUE) first"

We could of course make ClutterGLXTexturePixmap toggle this cogl switch
around its texture creation. Does that sound good ?

>  - There needs to be some way to force the usage on, because on some
>    drivers *with* NPOT textures still have problems with the
>    texture_for_pixmap + NPOT texture combination. [*]

I havn't seen any problems with NVIDIA using npots regular 2D textures,
at least with current clutter code. This patch shouldn't hopefully
effect that.

>  - Environment variables to a) enable texture_rectangle
>    b) disable texture_non_power_of_two globally for the process would
>    be the minimum impact change. But I don't particularly like forcing
>    the use of texture_rectangle for *all* textures when the only ones
>    that need to be texture_rectangle are the texture_for_pixmap.

Are these really needed ? Could they at least not be handled in the
application itself ?

  == Matthew

--
Matthew Allum, Intel Open Source Technology Center