Re: Gnome 2 on RedHat 9 and Solaris

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> One thing you could do that may help is to edit /etc/gconf/2/path on
> the Solaris and Linux systems and change the $HOME/.gconf directory to
> have a different name on each. Then you would get separate
> configuration on each system. It's worth a try anyhow.

Thanks! That helped.

> > If I log on to a RedHat box first, then logout and log on to a Solaris
> > box, Gnome on  the Solaris box complains that  the configuration is in
> > use and forces me to logout again.
>
> Ugh, most likely some NFS locking issue. See
> www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
>
> Try setting GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS=1 in /etc/profile.d on the RHL 9
> systems. With the local DOS security caveat on the gconf web site,
> which probably doesn't matter.

That helped too!

Now the problem is that if I do a "save current setup" on exit in Linux,
a  subsequent  Solaris  session  hangs on  login.  (Incidentally,  the
reverse  is  not  true:  "save  settings"  on  Solaris  allows  me  to
subsequently  login  to  a  Linux  box;  moreover,  the  settings  are
preserved - if I had a terminal window open in Solaris, it reappears in Linux.)

Anybody know how to fix this, or to disable "save current setup" on Linux?

-chris